Manchester Man Dies After Being Shot by Stun Gun



A Taser X26 stun gun is displayed at the Oakland Country Sheriff’s office in Pontiac, Mich., Tuesday, Dec. 12, 2006. A little-noticed bill that would let more people use Tasers and stun guns in Michigan is awaiting Gov. Jennifer Granholm’s signature, though critics hope she wields her veto pen. The legislation approved by the state Senate 30-7 last week would exempt detention facilities and private security officers at some hospitals and malls from a ban against Tasers, which have been criticized for causing deaths. (AP Photo/Carlos Osorio)

State police and the Hartford State’s Attorney are investigating the death of a Manchester man who was shot with a stun gun while resisting arrest early Sunday, authorities said.


Twenty-two-year-old Jose Maldonado, of Hamlin Street in Manchester, died after struggling with officers at the East Hartford Police Department, according to state police.


Maldonado was arrested and taken to police headquarters following an incident at 181 Nutmeg Lane in East Hartford, where police said he damaged a car with two adults and three children inside. Broken glass injured one of the adults, police said.


Officers arrived on scene around 1:30 a.m. to arrest Maldonado. He reportedly fought with police while they were arresting him and was charged with three counts of risk of injury to a minor, third degree assault, second-degree criminal mischief, disorderly conduct and interfering with or resisting arrest.


Police said Maldonado began to fight with officers again at police headquarters, prompting one of them to shoot him with a stun gun.


According to state police, Maldonado seemed to suffer medical distress” after the stun gun was used. EMS provided medical care while waiting for an ambulance to arrive. Maldonado was taken by ambulance to Hartford Hospital, where he died.


The Hartford State’s Attorney and the Connecticut State Police Central District Major Crime Squad are investigating the incident.


State police gathered evidence and interviewed witnesses Sunday.


The Chief Medical Examiner’s will conduct an autopsy to determine the official cause of death.

Comments are closed.