No Time for Exercise in Your Daily Routine? Get Creative!
Yes, you want to lose weight and look out for your wellbeing, but who has the time? Between work, family and having some sort of a social life, getting to the gym is a near-impossible addition to your hectic calendar (not to mention being too expensive and unappealing for most of us!). However, there are – thank God – loads of creative ways you can lose calories without setting foot inside a sweaty gym.
1. Laughing it off – According to researchers from Vanderbilt University Medical Centre, ‘Ten to 15 minutes of laughter could increase energy expenditure by 10 to 40 calories per day, which could translate into about four pounds a year.’
2. Workplace walks – Not only can a stroll around the office be the perfect break when you’re having a stressful day, but wandering for 10 minutes at a slow pace can burn 40 calories. You can also burn more by buying your lunch off site – so you have to walk further to get it – or taking the stairs more and parking further away from the office.
3. Calorie chores – Vacuuming for 20-25 minutes gives your upper body a good workout, to the tune of burning 70 calories. 20 minutes of sweeping can get rid of another 80 calories, while you can also get that blood pumping by dusting or scrubbing the tub. If you’re doing laundry, carrying loads up and down the stairs can provide an extra calorie-burning opportunity, especially if you have to take them to your local Laundromat.
4. The great outdoors – Developing your green fingers will also help you to tone your shoulders and upper arms. 20 minutes of raking or general gardening will help to burn 80 calories, but if you really want to burn it off, crack out the lawn mower; 45 minutes will help you lose 200 calories.
5. Parenting tips – If your kids are getting in the way of your exercise regime, make them part of it! The Centres for Disease Control and Prevention recommends ‘at least 150 minutes per week of moderate-intensity aerobic activity, such as brisk walking, during and after pregnancy,’ so grab the buggy and take baby out for a stroll. Plus, walking your kids to school will help to teach them to be healthy while you all burn calories together.
Comments are closed.